Our things are still on the other side of the world, but we have a place to live. And it is nice to have a home again.
It is very difficult at first to come to terms with where we are. I mean, I know it is Japan. You can see that from the signs and the people. But the place itself looks nothing like I would have thought.
And don't let the little scrap of an island on Google maps fool you. This island is quite big enough thank you. Driving around it for even visits from base to base are a hassle.
When I say though, that it looks nothing like I would have thought, I mean that this place is down right tropical. Everything here is different.
The ocean is bright blue and green.
The houses and living complexes are right on top of each other, and quite frankly look very worn down on the outside. The term "slummy" comes to mind driving around parts of the island. (I imagine it has to do with the brutal beating that most of the island gets from storms and the heat/humidity. The insides of most of the places I have been are quite nice.)
The plant life and variety are impossible to describe. I've seen more butterflies here than I have ever in my life.
Even the clouds are different. They hang deep and low in the sky.
All in all I feel not only like I'm in a different country but a different planet at times.
There are lots of things that we are going to have to adjust to, but being here is a good feeling. I'm glad for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment