My day job is mostly a managerial position at this point in my career. However that doesn't stop me from getting busy now and then with big projects. My class here in 29 Palms is basically over, which means I've done my final briefing.
The final briefing was a huge project, but I am happy with how it turned out. It also gives me a bit of an opportunity to share a little of the type of stuff I work on. So I'll put up a few of the diagrams with a little description. This definitely isn't an "every day" part of my job, but it gets thrown in now and then.
Also, the project was completely made up including the premise so don't read into it.
This is the transmission diagram, going into our division company providing satellite communications to three regimental size forward sites with redundant satellite links for ourselves reaching the states. We also have a co-located unit to provide communications for.
This is the set up of replication from our domain controllers to our parent and from us to our subordinate sites.
Exchange architecture, again address replication from parent site.
Virtualization diagram and shares. Running three physical servers baremetal with ESX in order to maximize our equipment. Each set of virtual servers is set up with priorities in the event of failures for stability across three filers and capacity for 100,000 shares.
LAN diagram detailing connections within the division and to subordinate units.
I'm proud of what I put out for the class and I'm feeling confident enough to run the show when I get out to Okinawa. Just have to find out.





I love networking diagrams. I don't totally understand them, but they just look so damn cool.
ReplyDelete