Friday, April 22, 2011

Earthbag Building

I'm a pretty realistic guy when it comes down to it. But, I have a bit of a pessimistic world view in the back of my mind, which I think is better than being naive. I'd much rather be prepared for the worst, than be caught with my pants down when the government collapses/aliens invade/zombies come.
Being an IT professional, that really doesn't give much in the way of "making" something when it comes down to it. So I like looking into things that I think may be useful to know and/or give me something that I can make with my own two hands that can be given to other people. It is why I love brewing beer! I can't imagine a world where people would sour on having a relaxing beverage once in a while.
It is also why I have had my interest piqued recently by earthbag building. It seems like an easy to learn skill that promotes a very earth friendly and sustainable shelter or even a home.


I am thinking of building the style in the picture above as a small tool shed or storage area whenever I end up in a permanent place. It looks like an easy enough job, and one that I feel I can do fairly easily. There is even a step-by-step instructable that goes over the process. 
There are lots of resources on sustainable building styles, and good starter projects to get your feet wet. I'll list a few of them at the end. 
Like I said, I don't think I'll ever end up making a bunker against zombies, but it looks like a fun and rewarding project that will pay off in the long run. Who knows? Depending on where we live in the end, making a large and well insulated earthbag building with good baled straw insulation would make a fine beer and wine cellar. Can't beat that.




4 comments:

  1. F'ing awesome. I love this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who wouldn't want their own hobbit hole? And hey... *puts on sunglasses* it's dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know my opinion on the matter. After getting your hands wet on a smaller building I'd really be open to making one for our home.

    ReplyDelete